Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stuck

Yesterday I took Little One shopping. She's not my best shopper (that would be Baby Girl) but she does OK as long as there is entertainment and/or coins involved (she has a thing for coin money)(I may be actually bribing her to pee on the stinkin' potty)(Ahem). Youngest Boy has grown about a foot and a half since the start of school (give or take) and desperately needed new school pants. Turns out, those are hard to find this time of year. Know what's NOT hard to find this time of year? Winter clearance. My two favorite words!



I had recently snagged a pair of boots for around $10 - probably because the weather around here has been the type that does not require one to actually wear boots. I also picked up warm and cozy pj's for $2/pair for my pajama party so I was on the lookout.



In April Mr. MOTH and I are going to attend the wedding of one of his co-workers. It's going to require an overnight stay (as in, we're leaving all 4 kids overnight for the first time EVER) and it also means that I will be seeing a handful of my own former co-workers. I would at least like to not look frumpy so I was scouring the clearance racks for a dress. I found a beautiful purple one in a size smaller than I used to wear but I have to keep reminding myself that I AM a size smaller, so I plucked it off along with a few in the bigger size and went to try them on.



Naturally, I tried the smaller one first. It fit perfectly! I was stoked! It was pretty, on sale for (almost) dirt cheap, and it was a size I haven't seen since I was 16! WOOT! I decided I would try the others on just for comparison...but I couldn't get the zipper down. No way. No how. I even asked Little One - who happens to be a pro and removing her own clothing - to help. "This way, Mommy?" as she yanked the zipper. No go.



I got desperate and peeked my flaming red face out of the dressing room door. It was a Tuesday morning and not at all crowded but naturally the first person I see in the ladies' department is a guy. At least he was with his wife so I motioned for him to get her attention and I blurted out, "Can you help me? I AM STUCK IN THIS DRESS!!" A salesperson heard and offered her services instead. Now. I am never embarrassed. It takes an awful lot. But having to walk out and ask for help (with my not-appropriate-for-evening-wear bra showing) was the end. I didn't buy the stupid dress. As my mom said, I was scared of it.





1 comment:

All Good in Mommyhood said...

I LOVE love LOVE clearance. All about it! great job snagging those deals!